Plumbing Heating A/C Electrical Refrigeration Sheet Metal
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:32 am 
Senior PHA/CER

So what ever happened with the truck?

Do you have the 6 speed trans?

I'm taking mine in Monday.

Same issue with trans. It also seems like the thing is always in too high a gear, and for it to downshift you almost need to have the gas pedal on the floor.

And now the motor is pinging like a mofo on light throttle upshifts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:29 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

Location: In the middle of the ocean, clinging to my sanity, it's all I have left
The dealer I had it to claims that technical support says that it is supposed to do that, to protect the torque converter.

Not believing that BS, am about to call Chevrolet directly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:52 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

phishfood wrote:
The dealer I had it to claims that technical support says that it is supposed to do that, to protect the torque converter.

Not believing that BS, am about to call Chevrolet directly.

Tell the dealer you want that information from "technical support" in writing. There should be zero issue getting this if it's true.

Any runaround, he/she is a liar. I hate liars.

You might want to video any encounters with your phone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:01 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

So my Savana 4500 has about 3500 miles on it.

A few months ago, I noticed it was pinging, intermittently. Still running like shit. Called the dealer, they basically told me that it was impossible, can't happen with the computer.

Then we had a couple cool days, and the truck runs fantastic. No pinging, shifts great. Then it gets hot again, runs like shit, pings like a mofo. I narrow it down to 79 degrees. 78 or lower, runs great. 79 to higher, pings and runs lousy.

So one day it's pinging, I drive to the dealer, and take the service manager for a ride. He agrees it sounds like its pinging. Says he'll look into it. So he calls me and tells me the GM area rep says I need to run 93 ocatane fuel. :shock: I run it to empty, and fill it up. Same deal.

He then tells me I need to run at least 3 tanks thru before I will notice a difference. Wtf. So I do that.
Surprise, same. So I take it back twice more, they do more diagnostics. Tell me that all the parameters are within spec. But now we are getting into fall. So I start writing letters to the owner of the dealer, and General Motors. After a whole lot of arguing, GM gets involved, and the truck goes back for more diagnostics.

So last week, they sent the results to GM again, and I was told they are planning on having an engineer come to look at the truck. Apparently they do realize that there is a problem, but don't know how to fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Realliveplumber wrote:
So my Savana 4500 has about 3500 miles on it.

A few months ago, I noticed it was pinging, intermittently. Still running like shit. Called the dealer, they basically told me that it was impossible, can't happen with the computer.

Then we had a couple cool days, and the truck runs fantastic. No pinging, shifts great. Then it gets hot again, runs like shit, pings like a mofo. I narrow it down to 79 degrees. 78 or lower, runs great. 79 to higher, pings and runs lousy.

So one day it's pinging, I drive to the dealer, and take the service manager for a ride. He agrees it sounds like its pinging. Says he'll look into it. So he calls me and tells me the GM area rep says I need to run 93 ocatane fuel. :shock: I run it to empty, and fill it up. Same deal.

He then tells me I need to run at least 3 tanks thru before I will notice a difference. Wtf. So I do that.
Surprise, same. So I take it back twice more, they do more diagnostics. Tell me that all the parameters are within spec. But now we are getting into fall. So I start writing letters to the owner of the dealer, and General Motors. After a whole lot of arguing, GM gets involved, and the truck goes back for more diagnostics.

So last week, they sent the results to GM again, and I was told they are planning on having an engineer come to look at the truck. Apparently they do realize that there is a problem, but don't know how to fix it.

We had a brand new ambulance a few years back, gm duramax, going into limp mode every so often no rhyme or reason. Even with patients in transport in emergency situations :shock: ! To be honest it took GM two years and over 50 documented trips to dealer as well as a lawyer involved to finally get it fixed. They ended up parking it side by side with a similar vehicle and four enginerds on laptops crawled through the computer for days before they finally figured it out. I lost a lot of faith in GM over that!