Plumbing Heating A/C Electrical Refrigeration Sheet Metal
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:06 am 
Site Admin

Here’s an update on my promaster
In case I forget EFF Chrysler
Promaster diesel owners and buyers
I have two 2015 diesels, ones been great and at 50k miles no major issues and great fuel mileage from both.
The other has been in shop since November 27th last year, started as a glow plug light on and turned into
New glow plug wiring
New glow plugs of which 2 broke off in head
New head
Now injectors break in head
New injectors
Now a funny noise
New turbo
New air ductwork leading to turbo
New exhaust and seals
New exhaust manifold
New injection pump
New dowel pin and camshaft
And countless other items I can’t remember, thank goodness it’s under warranty
But now that I’m coming up on a full quarter without this vehicle I’ve began raising a fuss with Chrysler.
I’ve been without this damn van since November 27 last year and they are still throwing parts at it. I now have my attorney involved.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:58 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

deerslayer wrote:
Here’s an update on my promaster
In case I forget EFF Chrysler
Promaster diesel owners and buyers
I have two 2015 diesels, ones been great and at 50k miles no major issues and great fuel mileage from both.
The other has been in shop since November 27th last year, started as a glow plug light on and turned into
New glow plug wiring
New glow plugs of which 2 broke off in head
New head
Now injectors break in head
New injectors
Now a funny noise
New turbo
New air ductwork leading to turbo
New exhaust and seals
New exhaust manifold
New injection pump
New dowel pin and camshaft
And countless other items I can’t remember, thank goodness it’s under warranty
But now that I’m coming up on a full quarter without this vehicle I’ve began raising a fuss with Chrysler.
I’ve been without this damn van since November 27 last year and they are still throwing parts at it. I now have my attorney involved.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I'm not familiar with this design and systems. My Spidey Sense is saying that this was a f#$k up working on the glow plugs that just snowballed downhill from whoever is working on it.

Again, not familiar with this engine design. But I have seen many other designs where you have to take 5 things off (that seem should be completely unnecessary if addressed at the planning stage) to do 1 thing.

So if someone incompetent took off 5 things to do 1 thing, they'll f#$k up the other 5 along the way. Then they have to take off 3 more things to try and correct the other 5, and they'll f#$k them up.

See where I'm going? There are a lot of people that are seemingly "competent" and trained that will do stuff like this.

An example is someone I ran into today at the supply house I know that's like this:

He was looking for some other handle & escutcheon combination to put on his 3 handle tub valve at a house he just bought. Whoever owned it only had plain-painted drywall around it. So he, as a competent person, decided to make it waterproof. Completely reasonable, right?

Except rather than tearing the drywall down and putting up tile or whatever the right way he decided to just build out from the original drywall. And now of course the escutcheons and the handles will not mount at all on the valve because he's built out too far. No, universal ones with the geared blocks & screws won't work either.

An honest mistake, right? We're all human and make mistakes.

NO. There are people that are just wired this way. I've known this m'fer for years and he does EVERYTHING this way. With 100% confidence from the start. He has f#$ked up everything he has ever touched his whole life. I'm serious. I believe he also has a 4 year degree.

You've got to check and double check the details, details, details.

Last edited by JCsPlumbing on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:01 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

Then again, it could just be a lemon. Who knows?

Did they give you another van to continue work due to loss of use? If so they are trying to "reasonably" take care of things some I guess.

If not, I think you should start hammering them for it. Check what van rentals are in your area and just start invoicing them daily for one +20% for "processing". That'll start getting someone's attention fast.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:09 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

Location: In the middle of the ocean, clinging to my sanity, it's all I have left
Dayuummm, that sucks!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

It’s a problem from Chrysler
Chrysler as a business sucks, their customer service sucks.
I could blame the salesman, dealer, mechanic and all the other people involved.
The fact that Chrysler hasn’t made this right is the testament to me!
The buck stops with Chrysler.
They should be receiving a letter from my attorney about tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

deerslayer wrote:

Gotcha. I think many of them will do similar though. Remember the Ford 6.0? I remember person, after person, after person, that FoMoCo tried, and often did, stonewall, just flat out lie too, or screw over time & again.

For me, I don't really blame the salesman. They're a salesman. I DO blame the service writer (typically a weasily liar in my experience), dealer, and mechanic to a point. If the mechanic is any good, he/she will likely be steaming mad about this. If not, they won't. "Ain't my fault man...."

But if they can't resolve it, FCA should definitely step up and do it.

Hope you get it resolved how you want.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

JCsPlumbing wrote:
deerslayer wrote:

Gotcha. I think many of them will do similar though. Remember the Ford 6.0? I remember person, after person, after person, that FoMoCo tried, and often did, stonewall, just flat out lie too, or screw over time & again.

For me, I don't really blame the salesman. They're a salesman. I DO blame the service writer (typically a weasily liar in my experience), dealer, and mechanic to a point. If the mechanic is any good, he/she will likely be steaming mad about this. If not, they won't. "Ain't my fault man...."

I remember the 6.0 lol I had a good one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:40 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

You're one of a few. :lol:

Since we're kinda' on the subject....back in the 50's or 60's (memory) my grandfather bought a 1/2 ton new truck from the local Chevrolet dealer. Almost immediately it was drinking oil. Couldn't keep oil in it.

The dealer hemmed and hawed about it for all kinds of reasons. So my grandfather sent a handwritten letter to GM in Detroit and within a couple of weeks a man showed up from there to look at this problem.

I can't remember exactly what was the exact issue. Casting flaw, rings set wrong, or whatever. But that guy said "replace this man's engine" to the dealer.

They did and my grandfather drove it for it's full life to my knowledge with no further issues.

That's the way customer service is supposed to work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:16 am 
Site Admin

JCsPlumbing wrote:
You're one of a few. :lol:

Since we're kinda' on the subject....back in the 50's or 60's (memory) my grandfather bought a 1/2 ton new truck from the local Chevrolet dealer. Almost immediately it was drinking oil. Couldn't keep oil in it.

The dealer hemmed and hawed about it for all kinds of reasons. So my grandfather sent a handwritten letter to GM in Detroit and within a couple of weeks a man showed up from there to look at this problem.

I can't remember exactly what was the exact issue. Casting flaw, rings set wrong, or whatever. But that guy said "replace this man's engine" to the dealer.

They did and my grandfather drove it for it's full life to my knowledge with no further issues.

That's the way customer service is supposed to work.

A good dealer would’ve taken care of it before it got that far. But yes at least someone made a decision.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:45 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

JCsPlumbing wrote:
deerslayer wrote:

Oh man I though when we had 2 6.0’s in the fleet we got the raw end of the deal but now I miss the 6.0 so much the worst truck I have ever owned is this 6.4l major pos ford put turbos in it last year and about a month ago the seal let go in one of the turbos resulting in oil out the exhaust pipe was a real snow

It has been at the ford dealer starting in January still no time line one when we will get it back

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:03 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

Gm is just as bad.

Motor in my new 4500 pings when its above 79 degrees f.

Had it back 5 times last summer. Letters to the CEO, gm executive office involved.

. Some dingbat lady engineer drove it when it was 45 out, then had the audacity to say the vehicle would not replicate the problem. They just himmed and hawed until it got cold. Pos's

First time it does it when it gets warm, it's being parked right in front of the dealerships service department bay door. Either I get a loaner until it does not make that noise, or they will need to call the cops, cause it ain't moving.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:00 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

Damn man, that sucks. I'd want a new van or engine for sure at this point. At least you can kind of be nice and say the other one you have is great.

Why do you guys get diesels? We have 30+ gas vans/trucks and I have never heard of us having these issues. Don't tell me you need the power, we have had several gas KUV's, those weigh a brick and still tow our air compressor.

I have a skepticism for anything I don't feel I fully understand. If you can unequivically prove to me that you are right I will concede, until then I will question everything especially my own theories, and I urge you to do the same.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:33 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

Well when we load up the backhoe it makes for a nice pull but when it is time most of the trucks will become gas with maybe 2 diesels running around

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:22 am 
Site Admin

skoronesa wrote:
Damn man, that sucks. I'd want a new van or engine for sure at this point. At least you can kind of be nice and say the other one you have is great.

Why do you guys get diesels? We have 30+ gas vans/trucks and I have never heard of us having these issues. Don't tell me you need the power, we have had several gas KUV's, those weigh a brick and still tow our air compressor.

We bought the diesel for fuel economy. We average 20 mpg. As far as pulling they aren’t rated for shit being a unibody.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:23 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

Location: In the middle of the ocean, clinging to my sanity, it's all I have left
20 mpg is more than double what I get from my 6 liter gas. If I got 20 mpg, I could run 4 days or so on a tank.