Mother of all Trades Forums

Plumbing Heating A/C Electrical Refrigeration Sheet Metal
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Late 50's f100 Trailer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:17 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

I got this half of a truck for 150$ from the junkyard. Someone had turned it into a trailer. Originally it was red with blue sprayed over which a lot had flaked off. I painted it to match my camo van. I am almost done replacing the bed. I did unistrut for the horizontal pieces using deep strut in the dips and shallow in the high spots so I would have a uniform surface to put my boards accross. I am torn on wether to get deep strut for between the boards which will be slightly taller and allow items to skid on the strut instead of tearing up the wood. If I do the shallow strut I will have to use spacers to raise it up and act as skid rails. 7 2x6's fits almost perfect with the strut between them.

After the bed I have to fix the driver side fender and step, redo the light wiring, reinforce the tailgate top edge, replace the tires, and install a fold down jack stand. Of course I have to get it inspected and then hopefully registered.

150$ for the trailer
like 60$ in strut so far
80$ in pressure treated wood
And I might need to buy tires, I don't know if the ones I was gonna use will pass.

https://imgur.com/a/sMw9C1V

I have a skepticism for anything I don't feel I fully understand. If you can unequivically prove to me that you are right I will concede, until then I will question everything especially my own theories, and I urge you to do the same.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:05 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

I got all the boards and strut cut, but I cant find my darn strut nuts! I am going crazy looking for them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have a skepticism for anything I don't feel I fully understand. If you can unequivically prove to me that you are right I will concede, until then I will question everything especially my own theories, and I urge you to do the same.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

skoronesa wrote:
I got all the boards and strut cut, but I cant find my darn strut nuts! I am going crazy looking for them.

If you lived closer I’d give you a Chevrolet bed just as ugly to go with it!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:43 am 
Senior PHA/CER

Tell us about the van....

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:56 am 
Senior PHA/CER

I can say a lot about the van, but what I love the most is the convenience with all my kids. I currently have 4 seats in the back so when my wife gives birth in a week we have room for all of us. It is just the best on trips. You ever buckle a kid in during a rainstorm? Your ass crack gets a bidet while you try to figure out how they twisted up the buckles. Not with the van! Everyone hops in and you get to stay dry.

I added an escape hatch meant for a bus. It was the most expensive change, 285$ just for the hatch plus some caulk and stainless bolts. Definitely worth it. I usually keep the rear popped so the ac air makes it to the back. My four year old sits almost below it and loves the breeze. It also has a built in fan with vents so you can keep it closed. I have my 7yr old practice unbuckling himself and his brothers and then open the hatch. My buddy gave me an I beam so I used it to make a front bumper to mount my winch behind. I made a light bar with some 1-1/4" pipe. It's nice being able to park in tight spots and just hop out the back doors. It also makes a nice air conditioned playpen.

And on occasion when the wife and I need peace and quiet, we go hang out in the van. I keep some thick foam pads on the floor and a camo bean bag chair ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:39 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

I woke up early this morning, and as I layed in bed it came to me! I found my strut nuts. I was short two pieces of strut and some carriage bolts but the new but is basically done.

I also reinforced the tailgate. 1/2" conduit in the top tube and 3/4" M in the bottom. :chicken

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:39 pm 
Senior PHA/CER

Nice trailer an remodel of it. I can see you get a lot of good use with it.